Sunday 6 May 2012

How about 8 points per Arduino?

So I have constructed my nice point motor controller using servo motors and an Arduino - very nice, thank you.

However, now I have a layout that needs to control 8 points, not 4. I also have limited I/O lines on the main controller so dedicating 8 to driving the point controller is just too much.

I decided to control all 8 points from a single Arduino and use the serial port to control the position and calibration of the points. I still use a pot to control the calibration process because it's just so intuitive.

This posed quite a few challenges. Firstly, don't try doing this with an Arduino Diecimila - you need a newer system than that - I used a Freetronics TwentyTen (discontinued) but the Eleven will be fine as well.

The other consideration is POWER. Yes, sorry but it's not going to work from USB and it's not even going to work well from a PC power supply without a little help. Yes, I'm talking about large capacitors and even a diode for return current.

Have a look at the photos below...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment