Saturday 31 December 2011

Layout Option 1

Here's a new layout idea based  roughly on my previous one but extended quite a bit.

I contemplated building a helix to raise my track but did not have to - I got land, baby. I've rversed a few things - note that the inner track now goes up instead of the previous case where the outer track descended.

That inner track will now mostly be exposed and is also double height at 12cm above the deck - I'm planning a lovely viaduct for almost half the length of the layout.

The green section will be raised and all the track will actually run under it except for the tram (blue track).

The tram will be built using Tomix tram track which I will coat with textured cobblestone paper.

The town will be built along the tram line on the green section.

Would love your views, folks.

Here's a track manifest, for the record:


4 comments:

  1. Nice, I like the relative complexity is a smallish foot print

    Franc - Railway ignorant observer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the doubly-folded figure-8 approach, should make for an ongoing interesting run. Would you run two trains on that mainline loop? (plus one parked at the station to swap in and out?).

    Are you constrained by how much track you've got, or how much space you want for scenery? I could imagine having a slightly richer layout with two additions: (i) run a second loop in parallel to the first, just reflecting the outer track without the additional loop (and perhaps no height change), coz countertraffic is cool, and (ii) yards are where the real fun is :-) Looks like you could extend the yards to the top right and lower left. With a connection of one yard track to the inner mainline (either side of the station, if I read it correctly) and some merging points you could then have a full runaround track for shunting...

    That track planning book is evil; way too many ideas. :-)

    What's the design software you are using?

    Cheers,
    Markus - one-handed-for-now railway modeller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's certainly an idea to add a second loop. My main concern has been to ensure a reasonable amount of space can be left for scenery and to allow for larger radius curves etc to add a bit more realism.

    No reason why we can't compromise a bit though. What I might do is build this layout up using scraps and offcuts and then experiment a bit. At some point you should drop by and we can have a fiddle with it. I'll buy some track in the next 2 weeks or so.

    The current layout can sustain 3 trains, 2 running trains at any given moment with one inactive at a station (plus a tram).

    Feel free to print out the plans and have a scribble and post your ideas - you're a fully fledged author on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, forgot to mention that I'm using RailModeller to do the drawings.

    ReplyDelete