Sunday 1 February 2015

A little landscaping and a tunnel portal.

The model railway is a complex layout in some ways and has a lof of tunnels running at many levels. It's also got the town sitting alongside the tram track. I've made a big effort to line all tunnels with heavy black card and I've done a light paintjob in areas inside the tunnels along the trackwork in a wash of black to get things looking more like a real railway. I have yet to ballast and will be doing light ballasting in more exposed areas "underground" and heavy ballasting everywhere else.

I've also fully levelled the area under the buldings in the town using the same thick black card.

All the tram track has been "filled" with plasticine to make it look more road like. I'll be using cobblestone paper to make the current cork look more road like at each side of the track. More on that later.

All of this has left me in a position to begin more serious landscaping. In order to dip my toe into the water in a small way I've started building the slope up to the left of the main station. In order to complete this area I've had to construct a triple track tunnel portal. I did this simply using brink paper (see here) covering a carefully cut out piece of polystyrene. I added details by covering balsa strips with brick paper and gluing it on. The tunnel arch was reinforced with individually cut out strips of card one bring high which I've arched over the mouth of the tunnel.








No comments:

Post a Comment