Saturday 13 August 2011

Making it work in N-scale (part 1)

Before I took this any further I wanted to have a really good idea of how this might work out in N-scale. I started trying to make a scale drawing using a CAD package and realised this was a bit of a pain and I had trouble getting gradients working in a sensible way - most free pagkages on the web come with sapporpriately priced help - yes, close to useless.

So, I had to make a scale model of my scale model just for the sake of settingmy mid to rest tht I'm going to love this layout.

I got some basic idea of standard radii that I could use and set about doing to cutting and pasting - physically!

I used 3mm foam core because it's light, easy to cut, sturdy and cheap. I bought a stack from Eckersley's.

Notice that I've added my tram line on top and also placed a few buildings which I already own - just to see where they might fit on the layout.

This is  a 1:4 scale model of my layout (which is already a 1:160 model of the real world). Hey - we're smaller than T-scale now.

The other great thing about having this little model is that I can simulate operation on it whilst sitting on teh sofa watching TV. Note my very beautiful scale model engines below (T1-T3).



No comments:

Post a Comment