Saturday 13 August 2011

Making it work in N-scale (part 2)

OK, so now I have an idea of what my layout should look lie and that it could work well in a real model. How about making it.?

Well, before doing that I need to see what it will really look like using the parts that I can buy.
My last layout used a lot of flex track which I soldered together at the joints and had to bend around corners and cut with a small bone saw. This is really a total pain.

This time, I'm making life easier and using as much set track as I can except for large straight-ish sections.

So I need to find a way of drafting this up using Peco set track to scale. Obviously, time for CAD.

Now there are a few CAD packages out there and the one that gets a lot of noise is XTrkCad. Well, it does work but in my view it's a pain to use. So what did I use? I borrowed a copy of RailModeller. The shareware version is free but you can't print your model nor can you save it. Not a problem for a small layout, really.

If I was going to make anything more heavy duty, I'd certainly pay the $50 license fee. Not a big deal.
So what can it do?


I think this is really just about all I need. It has all the maijor supplier's parts in there and it shows the part numbers on screen - just right really.

Now for the trivial part of just making it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment