Thursday 5 January 2012

Tight Curves

I thought I ought to test how tight a curve I could make for a tram track. It turns out that I can easily get a 4 wheeler to run on a 5" curve. Anything smaller and the friction on the wheels causes reliability issues.

I tried 6", 5.5" and 4". It easily runs on 5.5".

Here's a video:



I've started using foam core heavily  for my test work and will probably be using this on the layout when prototyping the system. Final work will be done using cuts in the plywood base with timber supports, but maybe I'll just keep the foam core in place!

It's certainly stronger and lighter than cardboard, easier to cut and shape etc so will most certainly be used for the basis of landscaping.

I think that the track itself is about 4mm from base to rail top. I will be using an underlay under most of the track - most likely cork - but the tram will probably be different. The underlay is to absorb noise and form a good basis for ballast. With the tram tracks, I may use something like rubber matting used for lining kitchen drawers - it's a non-skid thing used to keep plates from banging about when drawers open. It's thin, absorbs vibration and is cheap.

I guess that means a 5mm foam core can be used for the road-base to line up with the rails? Anyway, that's getting a bit ahead of things.

2 comments:

  1. Spent some time talking to the owner (Ian?) of Hobbyworld in Hornsby about the underlay. He has previously used cork on most of his layouts over the years, but recently switched to foam underlays. The cork deterioriates over time whereas the foam underlay is of a compound that last considerably longer. We're using the foam underlay on our rather extensive HO layout - it comes up great with a little ballasting and dry brushing.

    We also had an interesting problem with curves. Part of our rolling stock fleet is a set of NSW long passenger carriages (ie 70's vintage). We've been slowly converting the "fleet" to kadee couplers, but found that due to the length of the carriages on curves, that the bogie's were hitting the couplers and de-coupling the sets - not ideal!

    The problem was easily solved though by resetting the couplers a little further out - the downside being that the gap between carriages is a little larger than would be nice. A smalller size kadee coupler would work, but more interesting, coming up with a design for the inter-carriage covered walkway that works would be even better! Some sort of accordion style material...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samurai, thanks for the update about the underlay. Will try the foam. Hey, about your concertinas, I found this today:

    http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9192

    Can u share you track plans with me?

    ReplyDelete